The Army Leader is Expanding. Join the Team
Would you like to join a team of leadership development enthusiasts, building a platform to develop military leaders worldwide? If so, The Army Leader may be able to provide you that opportunity.
The Army Leader was launched in late 2017 with a small, focused selection of leadership development articles. Since then we’ve been growing. In January this year we had 24,000 unique visitors. We now publish weekly articles from a variety of authors, including 3-star generals, second lieutenants, current and former RSMs, and NCOs from across the British Army. This year members of the editorial team acted as advisors to a leader development series at the UK’s Defence Academy.
All this takes a team effort. Every article is edited several times. We pride ourselves on the advice we give to our authors. Although we cannot work on the same scale as academic journals, every article undergoes some form of peer review. All of this takes time and effort. Our staff are all unpaid volunteers who contribute in their spare time.
Our current team includes a former Sandhurst Chief Instructor, a former member of the Centre for Army Leadership and a junior officer with experience of leadership development programmes in the charitable sector. As the site grows we are looking to recruit Associate Editors and web content managers.
The Associate Editor role includes:
- Working to the editor, editing articles from first submission through to final product
- Interacting with authors to collect images, permissions and biographies
- Providing advice to new authors on improving their writing
- Peer reviewing articles
- For those who are ‘wordpress-capable’, uploading articles for publication
- As an indication of level of work required, each article normally takes three edits, each one taking 1-2 hours
- While there is no solid commitment required, we expect our Associate Editors to edit one article a month
Ideally applicants will:
- Be a current or former member of the British armed forces with leadership or leadership development experience
- Be able to write effectively in a non-military style and correct grammar and spelling errors in others’ work
- Be keen to learn and develop themselves and their writing
- Be driven to motivate and selflessly develop others
- Be a positive role model in their leadership, their confidence to write and their engagement with Professional Military Education
- While rank will generally not be a factor, the team is keen to bring former or current Non-Commissioned service members onto the team
Web Content Manager
Our web content manager will:
- Assist the current web content manager in uploading articles to the site
- Source appropriately copyrighted images for the site
- Build new pages and periodically update the site
- As an indication of level of work, each article normally takes 1-2 hours to prepare for publishing and the site currently publishes 3-4 articles per month.
Ideally applicants will:
- Be a current or former member of the British armed forces
- Have experience and understanding of WordPress and the Gutenberg editor
- Be willing to learn other roles and contribute further to the site
- Again, while rank will generally not be a factor, the team is keen to bring former or current Non-Commissioned service members onto the team
Get in Touch
If you are interested in joining the team please email JoinUs@thearmyleader.co.uk with information about your background, relevant experience and what you believe you could bring to the role.
We look forward to hearing from you.