Leaders motivate and Dan Pink talks about what science tells us about motivation. Extrinsic motivations (reward and punishment) and intrinsic ones (internal motivations). It’s a great talk. So great, in fact, that it was recommended to the Army’s general staff in a letter from DCGS following their 2017 conference. Think about motivating through autonomy, mastery and purpose.
- Is soldiering too complicated and complex for extrinsic motivation to be any good? If so, why do we still use it?
- How can you motivate in a way that isn’t to do with reward and punishment? Which leader has motivated you during your career?
- Even worse, have you been motivating in a way that causes harm?
- Which behaviours in the Army’s Leadership Code create intrinsic motivation? Which are only extrinsic?
- How does what Dan Pink say about autonomy link to ’empowerment’?